Best Car Paint Chip Repair Kits: Reviews & Recommendations
Filling in paint chips can seem like a daunting task if you have never attempted it before. There’s the pressure of making sure you only get paint in the chip itself, along with the intensity of having only so much time to repair the chip properly. Langka removes all those barriers to really make paint chip repair an easy process, no matter how much painting experience you have.
From start to finish, Langka provides the tools you need to prepare the paint chip, fill it in, and then seal it from further damage. Included applicator tips help you apply paint to the smallest of paint chips, while the microfiber cloth easily removes any excess paint you might have as you go along. The blob eliminator solution smooths out any spots where you may have applied too much paint. Finally, the sealant ensures the work you just accomplished lasts for the remainder of the vehicle’s lifetime.
The only drawback about this kit that we could find is that the specific touch-up paint required for your vehicle isn’t included. However, that’s easily remedied by visiting your local dealership and ordering a brush tip supply of touch-up paint. If you order a pen tip type, it will make the application process much more difficult. Langka makes it easy for anyone to use their product, no matter your skill level.
This scratch and chip repair kit is designed for cars with a unique color, where you have to blend a few colors to get a precise match for your vehicle. MagicEzy offers a drip-free kit that comes with two tubes, which either come in black, white, silver, gray metallic, white pearl metallic, or black metallic. One end of the tube has a nozzle that can be directly applied to the damage and the other end is spatula-like to help level the gel.
The gels fill up cracks, scratches, and gouges to leave a smooth, glossy finish, which you can buff out to get a dry matte look. It dries up in seconds without runs or blobs, and you can expect the touch-up to last for at least three years. The product is also safe to use on most parts of your vehicle including the roof, doors, hood, side mirror, and bumpers.
However, it can prove to be a bit challenging to mix and match the colors if you are a first-time user. You may end up wasting a lot of the gel in the process. Also, you won’t find the specific color labeled on the tube. You’d have to squeeze out a little bit of the product to know what you are working with.
Paint2Fix offers a potent blend of products and quality when it comes to its Automotive Touch-Up Paint kits. Each kit is designed specifically for the individual colors per manufacturer and Paint2Fix promises a 100 percent match guarantee for each of those shades. As long as you select the correct make and model, you’ll have everything you need to complete your paint chip repairs in one package.
That’s not the only reason we chose this kit from Paint2Fix. Beyond the reassurance of knowing the paint you order will match, you are also presented with a straightforward and self-explanatory kit, laid out in such a way as to visually represent the individual steps. For example, you have got your touch-up paint, wax, polish, and applicator tips. If you find yourself staring down quite a number of paint chips, you can order the corresponding Paint2Fix kit in larger quantities.
As much as this kit is easy to use straight out of the box, we were unsure whether it includes a sealing product or not. Sealing your paint chip repairs is just as important as applying the clear coat was original, so we’d suggest investing in a sealant product if you don’t want to rely on just the included wax/polish. At the same time, Paint2Fix really makes it easy for almost anyone to repair the paint chips on their vehicle.
This kit is designed for Toyota models, and you can find your paint code in several places on your vehicle, including the engine bay area, by the front strut tower, or under the trunk floor mat. The package includes 100 milliliters of paint, 100 milliliters of German-patented cleaning solution, 25 milliliters of carnauba-based wax, and 25 milliliters of paste. It comes in a variety of colors, including various shades of gray, silver, beige, and green.
The process is fairly easy, and the color perfectly matches your car. There's a very large variety of color choices that 100 percent match the OEM finish. It's a three-step advanced touch-up kit that produces professional results, and it includes a solution that removes extra paint and corrects application mistakes.
The biggest drawback with this paint kit is that it's designed only for Toyota vehicles. It also works best on smaller scratches as opposed to bigger blemishes. In addition, it can also take a little practice and patience for the kit to be truly effective.
Spray paint might not seem like the right product to use on your car’s exterior, but with Dupli-Color Touch-Up Spray Paint, you’ll have exactly what you need. Technically, this product is no regular aerosol can of spray paint. Instead, it’s an all-in-one touch-up tool that helps you prime damaged and chipped areas, cover them up with an exact-color match paint, and apply a protective clear coat. And that’s packaged into a single slim pen-like product that’s super easy to use.
With this touch-up spray paint, you’ll have a color match you can trust. Dupli-Color is the only brand that offers paint colors that have been tested and approved by vehicle manufacturers, so you’ll get a close (if not perfect) color match to your vehicle’s original factory finish. Designed to repair both chips and scratches, this product has an abrasive prep tip that you’ll use to remove any loose paint and rust present. Then, you’ll switch to either the paint pen tip for fine scratches and small chips or the brush tip for larger chips. Either tip gets paint flowing in small amounts for easy control. Finally, you’ll apply the included clear protective coat to seal, protect, and finish your repair work.
Just be aware that you need to be careful about choosing your paint color. While Dupli-Color may be manufacturer-approved, it doesn’t offer flawless matches for every make and model.
The ACDelco GM Four-In-One Touch-Up Paint Pen is exactly the product you need if you own a GM vehicle and want a flawless paint match for chipped exteriors. This chip repair product is a piece of GM original equipment, which means its color and its finish are made to match exactly what your car rolled off the dealership lot wearing.
Sold in a selection of GM original paint colors, each one of these touch-up paint pens features 0.5 ounces of four-in-one paint. You’ll get the color-matched paint that’s blended with protective sealant so you don’t have to perform multiple steps to get a perfect, protected finish. The pen also offers a piston-style pen tip that works for small chips and slim scratches alongside a brush applicator that’s ideal for larger chips. You’ll be able to cover and repair a variety of common body and paint damage issues.
Just make sure before buying that you check your vehicle’s paint code to ensure you’re getting a good match. And if you don’t own a GM vehicle, this product likely won’t match your paint job perfectly – so be cautious before buying.
If you own a vehicle with a matte black paint job, the N N Paint Repair Pen is a great option for repairing small or more significant chips as well as scratches and other potential signs of exterior damage. It’s ideal for little touch-ups and car owners who don’t want to perform a whole extensive process for just a bit of chipping.
This car paint chip repair pen is easy to use and control. You use it just like you would a typical pen, pressing down gently to get the black paint inside flowing onto your vehicle’s exterior. Don’t have a black car? There are 13 other colors offered by the brand, so you may be able to find a close finish. You don’t need to perform any special repair work before using this paint pen, though if your car surface does show rust you’ll want to sand that away first.
There are just two potential drawbacks to this particular chip repair product. First, its paint finish is matte, not glossy – so it won’t be a perfect match for all black cars. Second, its applicator tip is extremely small. It may not be able to handle significant chipping, as it’s really for tiny little chips and thin scratches. Getting a thick stream of paint isn’t likely with this pen.
If you’re looking for a car paint chip repair kit that’ll have you covered in a variety of situations, the Bondo Scratch & Rock Chip Repair Kit is exactly what you need. This easy-to-use and permanent paint solution is so easy to use that it’ll have your vehicle’s exterior looking like new in less than one hour.
Speedy and time-saving, this chip repair product features everything you need to cover chips and protect your vehicle once again. It offers a variety of paint colors to choose from so you can achieve a close, if not flawless, finish. In addition to the paint itself, you’ll also get Bondo Glazing and Spot Putty, Bondo Spreader, and two grit levels of 3M sandpaper (180 and 320 grits). There’s no mixing required; once you prime the area and apply the paint, you’ll be finished. And there’s enough product to cover 80 square inches of surface area too.
While this chip repair kit is designed for deep scratches and deep chips, it can’t cover everything in mere minutes. You may need to perform more extensive repair work to properly cover up and fill bigger areas of chipping.
TriNova is a well-known and trusted brand when it comes to car enthusiasts who want to take better care of their vehicle. Its kit may not look like much, but it’s priced well and well-liked for several reasons. Starting off, it comes with a 12-ounce bottle of formula that removes light scratches without an issue. It also comes with a buffer pad to make things a bit easier for you.
It’s so good at what it does that your vehicle may look like it got a brand new paint job once you’re finished buffing out those scratches. Yes, it may be time-consuming, but the end result is worth the effort.
However, like other choices, it is only designed to fix light scratches and may have a more difficult time repairing larger ones. It also may not work that great on black paint.
Our Verdict on the Best Car Paint Chip Repair Kits
We chose the Langka Paint Chip Repair Kit for its universal application and affordable pricing. Order your vehicle’s paint color and you are ready to repair those paint chips.
The MagicEzy Auto Scratch Repairezy won our value pick for the variety of products you receive to correct paint chips across your vehicle’s surface.
- Restore chipping paint. The biggest benefit of any car paint chip repair kit is kind of an obvious one: With the paint repair items included, these kits can restore your vehicle’s exterior and solve the problem of chipped paint. They’ll take your original paint job from damaged and decaying and breathe fresh life back into it, smoothing out your problems and making the chips disappear. Your paint will look sleek once again, just like the day you rolled off the lot.
- Affordable. Paying for a whole new paint job isn’t cheap – it’s a costly investment. Instead of paying to repaint your entire vehicle, you can use a car paint chip repair kit to fix the problem spots on your own. With low prices and only a small fraction of the cost of a traditional paint job, you can restore your vehicle’s exterior on your own. Plus, you won’t have the added expenses or frustrations of having to leave your car at the shop for days or a week until the work is finished.
- Easy to apply. Because car paint chip repair kits are designed to be used by every and any vehicle owner, they’re super simple to apply. These kits come with step-by-step instructions, and you don’t need any kind of expert experience in order to use them. Even if it’s your first time attempting to repair chipping or chipped paint, you can turn to one of these kits and master the repair process in very little time. You can even have your car’s paint looking like new in the space of a weekend afternoon.
- Protect your paint and body. While a chip repair kit is designed to restore areas of chipped vehicle paint, these kits can also offer two more significant benefits. They can seal your exterior paint and prevent the metal body underneath from developing rust. Every car features a layer of clear coat over its paint job, which helps protect the paint and keep rust from eating away at your car body. When paint starts to chip, the entire exterior of your vehicle is suddenly at an increased risk of these dangers. But when you apply a chip repair kit, you’ll also restore the lost clear coat and reinforce the protection your car needs.
- Versatile. Available in different formats and styles, paint chip repair kits make it easy to fix your vehicle’s exterior. You can choose from brush-style kits, paint pen kits, or even kits with multiple applicator options and convenient sealants packaged together. Instead of searching around for separate components, you can fix everything with one kit or one single tool.
Types of Car Paint Chip Repair Kit
Touch-Up Paint: Brush Tip
You are probably most familiar with this type of chip repair solution. Many people order their vehicle’s specific paint color from the dealership, and it comes in the form of a brush tip applicator, similar to nail polish. Brush tips are great for applying touch-up paint to larger chips but can often take a skilled hand to correct smaller chips such as in the case of road rash. Road rash simply describes the multiple small chips that can occur on front bumpers, fenders, and hoods where pebbles have worn away at the paint over time.
Touch-Up Paint: Pen Tip
More common than brush tips, pen tip touch-up paint applicators are much easier to use. A bit like a Sharpie pen, they direct flow of the touch-up paint to a precise point, which addresses the biggest challenge faced by inexperienced car owners who buy a brush tip applicator. However, pen tip applicators take longer to fill in larger paint chips. Whereas brush tip touch-up paint can last a while if properly sealed, pen tip applicators dry up much more quickly.
Car paint chip repair kits combine the entire process into one package. Simply applying the touch-up paint to a paint chip isn’t enough. The paint then has to be sealed and blended into the surrounding paint for maximum results. Car paint chip repair kits will include not only the paint itself but typically applicator tips, a sealant of some kind, and an agent to remove excess paint during the blending process. You should be able to address a paint chip from start to finish with a complete paint chip repair kit.
- Under $20: If you don’t want to spend a lot, you can find plenty of car paint chip repair kits for under $20. From single paint pens to more in-depth kits, you have a lot of options within this budget price range.
- $21 to $39: Step up to this slightly higher price category, and you’ll find even more extensive options. Typically, for $20 or more, you’ll find multi-part kits that include everything you need from paint to sealant to additional accessories that make the repair process a breeze.
- $40 and up: The most expensive paint repair kits will run more than $40 in price. In this price range, you’ll also find auto-specific sets for luxury vehicles, like chip repair made just for BMWs and Mercedes. The fancier your vehicle is, the more expensive a custom kit may be. However, for this price, you will get everything you need in a comprehensive chip repair kit.
A car paint chip repair kit is pretty useless if it doesn’t come with instructions that tell you how to prep, apply, and finish the job with its components. Even if you aren’t completely new to vehicle paint repair, it’s a good idea to choose a kit that walks you through the process so you don’t make mistakes (or an even bigger mess out of your car’s exterior paint). Check product reviews and the kit description to make sure instructions are included so you won’t be at a loss as to how to apply the products once your kit arrives.
Paint Color Match
You don’t want to pick just any car paint chip repair kit or product—only certain ones will actually match the exact color and sheen of your vehicle’s current paint job. Every automaker has different shades of popular, common colors. And while black seems pretty straightforward, for example, the exact shade can vary pretty noticeably from vehicle to vehicle. Make sure you choose a repair kit that includes the right paint color, or as close of a match as possible, to the make and model of your vehicle. Plenty of kits are made for specific brands or vehicle models, which allows you to find just the right fit pretty easily.
Sealant or Clear Coat
While the paint included in any repair kit is hugely important, you also want to think about sealant and clear coat. Not all chip repair kits include these extras, but they’re critical if you want to protect the newly repaired areas. In order to get a flawless match, you’ll want to make sure you have sealant and clear coat included in the kit. These additions do cost a little more, but it makes repair work a whole lot easier as you don’t need to shop separately for individual products; you can do the job all at once, with everything on hand and packaged together.
Other Considerations for the Best Car Paint Chip Repair Kits
- Close (Enough) Match. Depending on the age of your vehicle and a variety of other factors, the paint will weather differently and may vary from panel to panel. Cars that have been in the direct sunlight will fade sooner than those kept covered. Matching the brand-new paint within the paint chips to the weathered paint around it could prove tricky.
- The Extent of Paint Damage. A few paint chips here and there should be pretty easy to address in the span of an afternoon, but if your vehicle’s entire hood and the bumper is pitted to the point where it looks sand-blasted, paint chip repair kits may not be the best use of your time and funds. You will probably have to repaint the panel completely, live with the damage, or come up with another solution altogether.
- Unique Paint Jobs. Repairing paint chips on a vehicle with a custom paint job gets complicated. Depending on what type of paint is used and how well you know the original painter, you may or may not be able to buy a container of touch-up paint. This is something to consider both before and after having your vehicle custom painted.
- As you fill in the paint chips on your vehicle, make sure you have adequate lighting. This will help you not only to make sure you are filling in the chips completely but also allow you to address all of the paint chips in one go, rather than seeing a few pops up after you are already finished.
- To understand the difference between brush tip, pen tip, and applicator tip styles, draw a crude circle on a piece of paper to mimic a paint chip. Now borrow some nail polish and attempt to fill the circle in completely. Do the same with your pen tip and applicator tip, using nail polish or another solution for the applicator tip.
- Preparing the paint chip is crucial to the final look. The best way to prepare your paint chips is to use a microfiber rag and isopropyl alcohol. The alcohol will remove any oils sitting on the surface of the paint, effectively drying out any moisture that would prevent the touch-up paint from adhering completely to the surface.
- Use car paint chip repair kits on painted surfaces only. For repairing damage to your wheels, seek out a specifically designed wheel repair kit that matches the wheels on your vehicle. Though they must be equally durable, car paints differ greatly from wheel paints.
- If you have never applied touch-up paint before, pick a spot on your vehicle that is relatively unobtrusive. The undersides of the rear bumper and/or running boards are ideal. Perfect your technique in these areas before you tackle larger panels.
- At some point, you may have to decide whether applying touch-up paint or having a uniform painted surface is more desirable. In terms of the lifetime of the paint itself, touch-up paint is more advantageous because it will protect the entire panel from rusting. However, an uninterrupted color scheme may be of higher priority.
- Before filling in scratches with touch-up paint, stop by your local detail shop or speak with the head detailer at your local dealership. Buffing may correct a lot of the scratches on your vehicle unless they are deep enough to require additional paint. Detail experts should be able to tell you which route is the best.
- After you have applied touch-up paint, wait at least 30 days before waxing or buffing the exterior of your vehicle. The paint may look as if it is set up after a few hours but it needs time to adequately adhere to the surface beneath.
Q: Do paint chip repair kits require sanding?
No. Most kits simply come with the materials necessary to fill in paint chips, rather than sand the paint itself. Paint scratch removal may require sanding in some cases, but you shouldn’t have to break out the sandpaper if you are just filling in paint chips.
Q: When do car paint chips require the attention of a body shop?
While paint chip repair kits can do a lot to fill in larger holes in your vehicle’s paint, they can’t do anything to repair damage to the metal underneath. Dents, dings, and any disfiguration of the sheet metal beneath your vehicle’s paint should be addressed first by a body shop before you even think of touch-up paint.
Q: Can I find paint chip repair kits at my local auto parts store?
Depending on where you are located and what’s available, you may be able to source paint chip repair kits locally. However, you are more likely to find both the correct paint and a better price online.
Q: Is it possible to achieve professional results with a paint chip repair kit, even if I have no experience?
Yes, it is! In fact, really all it takes is a bit of practice. As long as you are able to apply the touch-up paint and cover the chips, blending is the only hurdle left. And whether or not you are able to blend the paint completely, the panel will at least be sealed against rust.
Q: Can I use sandpaper to remove paint that's transferred onto my vehicle?
We don’t recommend you use sandpaper in this instance. In fact, it’s best to use a paint remover or lacquer thinner to remove the transfer paint first and then address the damage beneath afterward. Sometimes you may get lucky and find there’s no damage beneath at all.
Q: What other blemishes will paint chip repair kits fix?
Paint chip repair kits are designed to fill in holes in the paint, so anywhere this occurs, it can be applied. Paint chip repair kits can be used to fill in deeper scratches as well.
Q: Do I need to invest in any special tools for paint chip repair?
No, not necessarily. Most of the tools you’ll need are included within the paint chip repair kits, at least those we picked above. You can certainly purchase additional materials if you choose but they are not necessarily required.
Q: What are the advantages of buying OEM-specific touch-up paint versus spray paint?
Spray paint does not necessarily look as finished as traditional automotive paint. The differences depend on which type of appearance you prefer as the owner of the vehicle. Spray paints are typically not protected against wear, while automotive paints are covered by a clear coat.
Q: Should my car's paint scratches be addressed before applying touch-up paint?
If you are going to apply touch-up paint in a scratch, make sure it’s not something that can be addressed with a buffer instead. Deeper scratches require touch-up paint for complete correction but may require sanding as well depending on how deep they go.
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.